Interact better. Achieve more.
Help with Networking
How to Network Confidently and Effectively
Many people network (formally and/or informally) and many people get a lot of business through their networking activities. However, many people don’t. So what makes some people effective networkers, people who get a decent return on investment for the time that they spend doing it? What do they do that others don’t?
There are many answers to those questions but they can be distilled down into four key principles:
- they focus on the relationship – building relationships takes patience, practice and purpose and if those relationships are built, at some point the business will come – this is the core of effective networking
- they focus on their audience, the other people there – being prepared and taking an interest in them is a very effective way of building relationships
- they help people to understand how they help people, and then they help them
- they have the confidence to get out there and do it – part of this is simply about knowing how to look confident and part of this comes from the confidence that’s gained by being more effective, and therefore more productive, in the first place
Networking Skills Training
Networking can be one of the most powerful and productive activities an individual can do to develop business relationships and future opportunities. Unfortunately, many things (like a lack of confidence, planning and/or know-how) can get in the way and reduce the effectiveness of people’s networking activities.
Mike delivers interactive workshops and courses that guide participants through a number of proven techniques, practices and approaches that can remove those barriers and so lead to increased confidence and effectiveness whilst networking. This will in turn lead to an increased return on investment in time spent networking and, over time, a boost to business.
The workshops and courses focus not only on theoretical knowledge but also on practical application and participants will leave with many things that they can put instantly into practice to make a positive difference to their networking activities.
Coaching on Networking
Mike also coaches people on an individual basis, helping them to become more confident and effective networkers.
For some people that Mike works with, it’s a case of building their confidence whilst networking. In doing so, Mike addresses three common issues that they often say that they have:
- I don’t know who to talk to
- I don’t have the confidence to approach (the people I need/want to talk to)
- I don’t know what to say (when I do get to talk to people)
For others, it’s more about the preparation, planning and execution of a networking strategy, to ensure that their time spent networking is time well spent.
And for others, it’s both!
Mike also designs and delivers a variety of networking events, specialising in Speed Networking events.
There are a number of top tips for networking on the Tips for Networking page on this website.
You can also find more tips, best practices and examples in Mike’s book How to be BETTER at NETWORKING – In Person and Online.
And if you would like to find out more about how Mike can help you, or your team, to be more confident, more effective networkers, please feel free to Contact Mike.